Translate

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Book Review- Fallen, by Lauren Kate



Book review- Fallen, by Lauren Kate
Spoilers alert!

 Synopsis:
Some Angels are Destined to Fall
There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.
Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.
Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.
Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story.


Book review:

      Honestly, the first time I read Fallen, it took me forever to get through. I lost interest halfway through the book, and only recently picked it up again and finished it.
      I suppose it was well written, but nothing much really happens until, like, halfway through the story. The main character, Luce, I found shallow and self- absorbed,  focused on "oh, the beautiful Daniel Gregori", which irritated me. Also, when Daniel and Cam, a dude who is into Luce, are fighting, she didn't even do anything- instead, she stands by and watches. I mean, get in there and stop them, you idiot! Not to mention the fact that she spills all her problems to Daniel, when he obviously doesn't care and leaves her both times they go on a sort of date. Ain't nobody got time for that!
     In all seriousness, though, the plot intrigued me. I loved the fallen angel rivalry and Luce and Daniel's mysterious past. But I was a little confused on whether they are all fallen angels, or some or fallen and some aren't, because in my experience AND in the bible, fallen angels get their wings ripped out. Which didn't happen in this book.
     I also enjoyed the way Lauren Kate describes the Sword and Cross boarding school, as well as the twist ending. So I suppose this book isn't all bad.
     I have to say that when Luce went to the bar with Cam, I sat up and screamed, "You idiot!" Because who goes to a bar with a guy who barely knows her and is into her? Hello?
     The reason Luce is sent to the boarding school, lighting a boy on fire, was never thoroughly explained- WHY did she light him on fire? Or rather, how? She's human, mostly. As far as I could tell, her abilities did not extend to spontaneous combustion. This confused me.
     Despite this book's obvious flaws, I think I am going to read the rest of the series, if only because I like reading about fallen angels and want to see how Luce and Daniel's relationship progresses.
     Three out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment